HCA Healthcare UK at The Shard has access to a large team of expert orthopaedic specialists. They are able to provide quick assessment, intervention and effective treatment for a multitude of common and complex musculoskeletal conditions.
Our team aims to reduce diagnosis and recovery time for our patients, using the latest imaging and surgical techniques.
Surgery to treat severe knee and back pain are common procedures alongside treatments to deal with musculoskeletal trauma, degenerative diseases and sports injuries, as well as infections, tumours and congenital disorders. All surgery takes place at the world renowned London Bridge Hospital or one of our other HCA facilities.
Clinical consultations, diagnostic testing and treatments can often be carried out on the same day in our Multidisciplinary Musculoskeletal Department on the fifth floor
Orthopaedics at HCA at The Shard
Assessments and treatment procedures are used to monitor injuries and repair damage to many parts of the body. In severe cases, patients may be referred for surgery. However, this is assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Our orthopaedic consultants specialise in treating both upper and lower limb conditions.
Upper limb orthopaedics
At HCA at The Shard we have the outpatient facilities to rapidly diagnose shoulder injuries, fractures and shoulder disorders. We provide MRI, X-ray, ultrasound scans and other diagnostics, and have specialist shoulder surgeons, surgery takes place at London Bridge Hospital as an inpatient.
- Arthroscopic decompression
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
- Arthroscopic shoulder stabilisation
- Shoulder physiotherapy
- Shoulder replacement
19 out of 20 back pain cases can be treated simply. However, in some situations, back pain can become a chronic condition. In these cases, we provide many options and solutions. These focus on the diagnosis and treatment of the root causes of back pain, including:
- Treating lower back pain
- Back surgery
- Back pain clinics
- Back pain treatment
Patients suffering from spinal fractures, infections, or spinal tumours, inflammatory disorders or congenital deformity, have many options for treatment, which will be discussed at their consultation.
Surgery is the last option in those cases were other remedies and techniques haven’t been effective. Working with a specialist orthopaedic surgeon can help you decide on the most suitable treatment.
Conditions we treat, include:
- Neck and lower back pain
- Osteoporotic fractures
- Scoliosis and kyphosis – curving of the spine
- Trapped nerves causing arm pain (brachialgia) and leg pain (sciatica)
- Inflammatory disorders
- Injection therapies – facet injection, nerve root block, epidurals
Hand and wrist
At HCA at The Shard we specialise in surgical and non-surgical treatments for different hand and wrist conditions. We work with a multidisciplinary team comprised of dedicated professionals, from orthopaedic specialists to plastic surgeons with particular hand and wrist training. All surgery and inpatient treatment takes place at London Bridge Hospital.
Conditions we cover include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel syndrome
- Tenosynovitis and tendonitis
- Trauma to tendons, nerves and other soft tissues
- Hand fractures and joint/ligament injuries, such as skier’s thumb
- Wrist fractures
- Dupuytren’s disease – a condition involving a fixed forward curvature of one or more fingers
- Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, such as ulnar abutment syndrome
- Sports injuries, including triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) and wrist ligament injuries
- Work and leisure-related upper limb disorders
- Ganglions and tumours
- Scaphoid fractures and nonunions – a serious fracture complication
Hand and wrist treatments for such conditions include:
- Work and leisure rehabilitation using Primus RS
- Thermoplastic static and dynamic splints
- Scar management, including pressure garments
- Oedema and wound management
- Neoprene custom-made splints
- Medico-legal assessment
- Exercise therapy and mobilisation techniques
Lower limb surgery
As we age, problems with joints can emerge, with the most commonly afflicted area being the hip. We provide various treatments at HCA at The Shard for dealing with conditions affecting the hip, as well as providing detailed diagnostics and effective pain management solutions.
Our lower limb surgeons can treat:
- Hip arthroscopy – a type of keyhole surgery
- Hip resurfacing
- Hip replacement
- Hip revision
We operate a specialised service for the diagnosis and treatment of knee injuries, knee pain and other knee-related problems. Examinations, such as X-ray and MRI, can usually be arranged for the same day as the consultation, allowing faster diagnosis and a more rapid path to treatment.
We can treat a number of knee conditions, which includes:
- Revision knee replacement surgery
- Removal of bony spurs (outgrowth of bone)
- Primary unicondylar knee replacement
- Primary total knee replacement
- Outpatient injections
- Autologous cartilage-cell implantation
- Arthroscopic trimming or repair of a torn meniscus
- Arthroscopic removal of plicae and loose bodies
- Arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
Lower limb treatments
The lower limb treatments we offer at HCA at The Shard are designed to help relieve problems causing patients pain, discomfort and difficulty moving. These procedures can also aid rehabilitation of conditions that develop post-surgery, in the feet and ankles. Procedures include:
- Ankle arthroscopy
- Ankle arthritis
- Achilles tendon rupture repair
- Fusion for big toe arthritis
- Cheilectomy for big toe arthritis
- Bunion surgery
- Morton’s neuroma
- Lateral ligament reconstruction for chronic ankle instability
- Arthroscopic (Keyhole) knee procedures and ankle surgery
- Bunion surgery
- Deformity correction and limb lengthening
- Nonunion and trauma surgery
- Surgery for arthritis
Why choose the orthopaedic services at HCA Healthcare UK at The Shard?
- We provide expert care tailored to individual patients’ needs and requirements.
- We use advanced diagnostic and orthopaedic technology to facilitate the best possible care and treatment. Our imaging, physiotherapy and orthopaedic services are all located on the same floor.
- We work with leading consultants from London’s top teaching hospital who provide top-quality orthopaedic treatment and patient care.
- Orthopaedic conditions can severely hamper a patient’s quality of life. We endeavour to provide appointments on the same day a patient gets in touch, so their treatment can start as soon as possible.
- Together, the consultants, technology and quality of care provided at HCA at The Shard allow us to give patients an ideal outcome – the best treatment, most effective recovery and the best possible results.
- If you require surgery or a procedure, this will be performed in one of our specialist theatres at London Bridge Hospital, or any of our other HCA facilities