Dietetic & Nutrition Services
Nutrition and dietetic services focus on the evaluation and monitoring of dietetic intervention to facilitate better nutrition, assist in recovery, manage symptoms and aid wellbeing for our patients.
At HCA at The Shard our team is managed by specialised registered dietitians. The team comprises of dietitians registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)and British Dietetic Association (BDA).
They assist the healthcare team by translating complex nutritional information into dietary advice and eating plans, which are practical and effective means of aiding our patients.
How dietetics at HCA at The Shard can help
Treatment is tailored in a way that is achievable and agreed with the patient. We also work with other multidisciplinary teams to integrate nutrition into a patient’s overall care.
The Outpatient service includes specialised clinics for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The department also offers sports nutrition clinics with accredited sports nutrition experts.
In addition to this, we provide one-to-one consultations to assess dietary needs with patients to allow our dietitians to more effectively plan dietary advice and create suitable eating plans.
Hydrogen Breath Test (HBT) Service
HBTs are diagnostic procedures used to identify possible contributing factors affecting bowel symptoms, such as small intestinal bacterial overgrowth or sugar intolerances.
The test is non-invasive and there is an option to carry out some of the testing in your own home. The outcomes of HBTs help the dietitian when tailoring diet therapy to a patient’s individual needs and can identify if medical treatment from a consultant or doctor is necessary.
The dietetic services at HCA at The Shard specialise in:
- Bloating/abdominal discomfort
- Critical care
- Dysphagia (swallowing difficulties)
- Eating disorders
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Gynaecological disorders (PCOS)
- Hyperlipidaemia (high blood fats)
- Heart disease and high blood pressure
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (lBS)
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Neurological disorders, such as a stroke or MND
- Pre/post operation dietetics
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
- Renal disease
- Sports nutrition
- Weight gain
- Weight loss
- Parenteral nutrition
At HCA at The Shard, patients will meet with leading dietitians specialising in their specific form of diet therapy. Following a thorough assessment, they can address any nutritional concerns before providing advice for maintaining a balanced and healthy diet that will aid treatment.
Why choose dietetics at HCA at The Shard?
- Your healthcare shouldn’t be an inconvenience. This is why we strive for appointments at times that suit you; often on the same or next day.
- Our consultants and nutritional experts come to us from London’s leading teaching hospitals.
- Diagnosis is carried out using the latest in diagnostic technology, enabling faster and more accurate diagnosis and the prescription of more effective treatment.
- Your care is paramount and designed to be specific to your dietary needs. Treatment is agreed by you or your carer and is intended to be achievable. This helps you make a successful recovery, leading, ultimately, to the most effective outcome.