Oral and Maxillofacial
Oral and maxillofacial surgery focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, which affect the mouth, jaws, face and neck. The oral and maxillofacial team at HCA at The Shard is comprised of surgeons with a wealth of medical and dental expertise.
Oral and maxillofacial services at HCA Healthcare UK at The Shard
HCA at The Shard can provide diagnosis for the following oral and maxillofacial treatments with treatment being provided via London Bridge Hospital:
Salivary gland surgery:
These treatments concentrate on conditions within the saliva glands and include:
- Treatment of oral ulcers – red and white lesions that occur in the mouth
- Treatment of salivary gland conditions, such as dry mouth
- Mucocele removal and removal of other orofacial lumps in the jaw, salivary glands and face
- Parotid, submandibular and sublingual gland surgery for benign conditions
- Removal of benign and malignant tumours of the mouth
- Stone removal
Oncology is the treatment and removal of cancer, tumours and non-cancerous growths. Patient’s visiting HCA at The Shard can receive Oral and Maxillofacial surgery to treat cancer. Our oncology treatments include:
- Comprehensive treatment for osteoradionecrosis
- Comprehensive reconstruction (including microvascular) following treatments
- Surgery for all oropharyngeal carcinomas. This includes paranasal sinuses and salivary glands
- Skin tumour and mole excision
- Fibreoptic laryngo and pharyngoscopy
- Biopsy of oro-cervico facial lesions
Oral medicine and facial pain
Oral medicine focuses on the care of patients with chronic or recurring medical disorders that affect the oral and maxillofacial region. HCA at The Shard specialises in diagnosing and managing these conditions.
Oral medicine is different from oral and maxillofacial surgery. The emphasis is instead on conditions, which don’t require a surgical procedure.
Treatments for oral medicine and facial pain, include:
- Red patches in the mouth
- White patches in the mouth
- Oral infections
- Oral ulceration
- Oral manifestations of drugs
- Oral manifestations of medical conditions
- Oral mucosal disorders
- Disorders of the tongue
- Taste disorders
- Dry mouth
- Sore mouth
- Salivary gland disorders
- Lichen planus
- Lumps and bumps in the mouth
- Potentially malignant oral lesions
- Temporomandibular joint disorders
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Burning mouth syndrome
- Chronic facial pain
- Persistent idiopathic facial pain
The consultants at HCA at The Shard can help diagnose a number of conditions relating to facial pain. Pain may be caused by other conditions or damage to the jaw, specifically the different bones, muscles and tendons. We offer diagnostic and treatment services and with advanced cases we are able to refer patients for surgery.
Our facial pain treatments include:
- Temporomandibular joint surgery
- Cryotreatment of trigeminal neuralgia
- Temporomandibular joint arthrocentesis
Why use the Oral and Maxillofacial Department at HCA Healthcare UK at The Shard?
- At HCA at The Shard, we aim to arrange same or next day appointments for our patients, in order to facilitate faster diagnosis and treatment.
- We work in conjunction with leading consultants, who are experts in their field and use the latest advances in medicine and technology to provide effective treatment and high-quality care to our patients.
- Our patient care takes individual requirements into account. This makes the quality of care we offer better and provides a more effective recovery, in line with individual patient goals.
- We strive for the best possible results for our patients, across all aspects of their treatment, from diagnosis right through to recovery.